- Department Organization
- Deputy Chief
- Operations Bureau
- Support Bureau
- Special Teams
- I Want To...
- File Report Online
- Report a Parking Problem
- Report a Traffic Problem
- Report information to Crime Stoppers
- Request a Permit for...
- See the Crime Map
- Submit Neighborhood Watch Safecam Information
- Use the Property Inventory Registration System
- Office of the Chief
- Community Services
- Community Relations
- Crime Prevention
- Crime Free Multi-Housing
- Crime Stoppers
- Distracted Driving Epidemic
- Parking and Traffic
- Animal Welfare
- Public Safety Tax
The Norman Police Department is seeking men and women who are interested in a rewarding and challenging career and who seek the opportunity to make a positive impact in the local community.
Our hiring process is closed at this time.
Please monitor this site and our social media
pages for information regarding the next hiring process.
Download the Physcial Agility Testing Procedures ==>> HERE
Download the Written Test Study Guide ==>> HERE
The 53rd Norman Police Academy is scheduled to begin July 13, 2015
(Applications are no longer being accepted for the 53rd Academy)
If you have any questions regarding the application process,
please contact our recruiter by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or by phone: 405-366-5222.
To view a list of Recruiting FAQ's, click HERE.
POLICE RECRUITING OVERVIEW
- A minimum of sixty semester hours from an accredited college or university (The department will waive thirty (30) hours of the college requirement if you have three (3) years of active duty military service with nothing less than an honorable discharge; or two (2) years prior law enforcement experience.)
- Must be between 21 and 45 years of age (unless a prior member of the Oklahoma Police Pension and Retirement System)
- Excellent physical condition
- Valid driver’s license
- Legal resident of the United States
- If applicable, military service with an honorable discharge as stipulated on a DD214
- No felony convictions
Each applicant must successfully complete the following:
- Norman PD Physical Ability Test (Physical Ability Testing Procedures )
- Written Examination (NCJOSI Study Guide)
- Screening Board
- Personal History Statement
- Background Investigation
- Evaluation Board
- Hiring Board
- Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory
- Medical Examination
Upon your appointment as a Norman Police Recruit, you will attend the Norman Police Academy. You will participate in an intensive training program that exceeds the minimum standards set forth by the Oklahoma Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training (CLEET) and includes modules on:
- Criminal Law
- Firearms Training
- Police Vehicle Operations
- Patrol Procedures and Tactics
- Community Policing
- Investigative Techniques
- Human Relations
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Accident Investigation
- Custody and Control
- Physical Fitness
Your career as a Norman police officer begins with extensive training at the Norman Police Department’s CLEET accredited academy where you will draw full salary and benefits. Academy training includes classroom instruction and practical field exercises on subjects ranging from criminal law to self-defense.
After graduation from the Academy, Probationary Officers will participate in Field Training and will be assigned a Police Training Officer (PTO) on any one of the three patrol shifts. Probationary Officers are required to complete a minimum of fifteen weeks of on the job training and will rotate through three different work shifts.
In Phase 2 of Field Training, Probationary Officers are assigned solo patrol duties for the remainder of their first year of employment. After successful completion of this training phase, they are removed from probationary status. Daily activities involve patrolling the city of Norman, responding to calls for service, investigating crimes and traffic accidents, making arrests, issuing citations, working with citizens to solve community problems, assisting the fire department and hospital paramedics, and testifying in municipal and state court.
As your career develops, you may discover that you have talents in certain specialized areas of law enforcement. You may wish to apply for a position within the police department where your talents can be better utilized. Special duty assignments and police teams that are available at the Norman Police Department include:
- Bicycle Team
- Bomb Squad
- CIRT Team
- Crime Scene Technician
- Criminal Investigations
- Crisis Negotiation
- SWAT Team
- Field Training Officer
- Honor Guard
- Physical Fitness
- Instructor Pistol Team
- Special Operations (Narcotics)
- Traffic Enforcement
Fraternal Order of Police
The bargaining unit for all commissioned personnel is the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP). The FOP and the City of Norman conduct yearly contract negotiations. The benefits, salaries, and other working conditions that follow are not meant to be all-inclusive. Instead, they are intended to give potential applicants an idea of the benefits available under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the FOP and the City of Norman.
- Sick leave is accrued at one shift per month.
- Vacation leave is accrued annually as follows: 0-60 Months 12 Days, 61-120 Months 15 Days, 121-180 Months 18 Days, 181-240 Months 21 Days, 241+ Months 24 Days
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Group Health and Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Assistance
- College Incentive Pay
- Longevity Pay
- Uniform/Equipment Allowance
- Shift Differential
- As of July 1, 2014 - Date of Entry (DOE) $46,231
- 0.5 years from DOE $48,080
- 1.5 Years from DOE $50,002
- 2.5 Years from DOE $52,002
- 3.5 Years from DOE $54,082
- 4.5 Years from DOE $58,495 and promotion to MPO
- 5.5 Years from DOE $60,835
- 6.5 Years from DOE $63,269
- 7.5 Years from DOE $65,800
- 8.5 Years from DOE $68,432
- 9.5 Years from DOE $69,800
- 10.5 Years from DOE $71,196
The above number represents the base pay for police officers and does not include college incentive pay, holiday pay, overtime pay, longevity pay, shift differential and uniform and cleaning allowances.